Tuesday, November 5, 2013

Autistic parent to normal child

Something that is bothering me is that I can find next to no information or resources about how to be a parent when it's the parent who has autism. How do I properly interact with my children the way they need me too? 

I find that I don't make eye contact very often with my children and I wonder how to overcome that hurdle. I also get wiped out easily with social interaction, children are very social, and how do I muster the energy to play with them? I'm not great at direct play, I prefer parallel play, so how do I go about directly playing with my child? 

These thoughts ramble through my mind and I hope I can improve in these areas enough to have my boys be what they need to be as adults. I certainly have some pretty big blind spots. How do I know what I don't know?

No comments:

Post a Comment